Thursday, August 03, 2006

Day 2: July 30, 2006

Pretty much a perfect day. We woke up and watched a bit of San Diego news (no Ron Burgundy, though), and then ate breakfast up on the sun deck. Then, we headed out to Torrey Pines State Reserve and Beach. We drove up to the visitor’s center and looked out at the ocean vistas (Amy would be proud). Then we decided to find a grocery store to stock up on food. We found a Trader Joe’s and bought some two dollar wine and this weird blood red orange soda and a box of clementines. Then we went next door to Ralph’s to get other food that was a little cheaper and more available than at TJ’s. We were both wearing maroon A&M shirts and were recognized by a Texan who was a t-sip.

We went back to Torrey Pines and headed to the beach. It was so fun. The waves are so big – a lot bigger than Galveston. I had to get used to that, but it was great fun. I swallowed some sea water. I started wondering how anyone who goes to UCSD or lives in the area gets any work done. I would just want to hang out on the beach and village all day instead…

After we had our fill of the beach, we hiked a bit on a trail for some more picture taking opportunities (although, Adrian doesn’t need much to encourage him to take pictures). It was nice because the clouds had begun to dissipate and the blue skies were out. It is so beautiful.

After Torrey Pines, we headed back to our cute inn and talked and relaxed a bit. Then, we walked around the village some more on Prospect Street. I had read in a guidebook that Prospect Street is like the Rodeo Drive of La Jolla and boy were they right! Just on that one street we saw: a Lamborghini, a Ferrari, a Bentley, a Porsche-Carrera GT, a pink Cadillac, and several Land Rovers (also, throughout our day, we must have seen about 5 Priuses). It was pretty crazy.

After car goggling, we sat on some rocks at the cove and watched the sun set. Once the sun hit the horizon, it really started zooming down (or we started zooming up?). Also, I really think I saw a puff of smoke come up into the air just as the sun completely fell into the ocean.

At around 8:30, we heated up our leftovers from Jose’s (our room has a fridge and there’s a microwave on the premises) for dinner and ate on the sun deck and talked for awhile. Now, we are relaxing and trying our two dollar wine. Sadly, it turns out that we don’t like it too much…

No comments: