Sunday, June 20, 2004

Central Baptist Church night service

Tonight at Central, Chris discussed Rev 21:9. He stressed that it's "not what we do, but it's what we are" that matters to Christ. Often times, we tend to think that we need to do great things, like become important missionaries in war-torn countries, to be the kind of bride that Jesus would want. But in actuality, just being a person who is simply involved with his/her church and strives to maintain a quiet, godly demeanor is what is really important. I found this lesson to be very comforting as I often struggle with what to do for the rest of my life.

Chris went on to explain how we were all created for the need of a purpose and the need for friends. He used several examples to illustrate this point. Harry Potter transforms from a kid who is a nobody in his family and home to becoming a famous wizard with two intensely close friends. Russell Crowe's character in A Beautiful Mind (I can't recall the guy's name...) is so caught up with these two needs that he becomes delusional and fantasizes that he saves the United States by breaking codes and that he has a close best friend.

Overall, I enjoyed Chris's message and feel that it is very applicable to my life. I am now reassured that I don't have to worry about what I end up doing, as long as I end up being the kind of person that Christ would be happy to accept as His bride.

No comments: