Tuesday, April 25, 2006

amazing aquifers...

For some reason, I agreed to direct the Amazing Aquifers event for the Science Olympiad this Saturday. It has been somewhat of a headache to schedule all 23 teams, because the director of the whole Olympiad only alotted me 4 hours. The teams have to complete 4 stations: 2 written exams, a station where they build an aquifer based on surprise specifications that we tell them at that moment, and one station where they use their model aquifer to explain and demonstrate concepts to a judge.

The whole problem was scheduling the event so that it would be fair for each team involved. This is after all the state competition and we are sending a team to nationals, so I want the event to be fair, but sometimes I don't think the Olympiad director cares as much as I do. To be honest, I am not that familiar with the Olympiad and am not really sure how big a deal it is. Perhaps, I am being too anal in my assessments.

But I really do think we have come up with a solution! And I have already made the two written portions of the test, so I think I am now done with this until Saturday! hurrah. I am making Adrian help me judge the aquifers, because I think it is best to have two judges, plus he has a geology degree and there will be free pizza...

No comments: