Thursday, April 20, 2006

Shakespeare recitation contest

Tonight I judged a homeschool Shakespeare recitation contest. They had three levels: K-2; 3-5; and 6-8. The 5 year olds were so cute! They were all very impressive actually.

hee hee, I went with Sharon (she leads my Bible study) and her three kids. Daniel, the son, did not win (though he was also very good). He was somewhat bitter about it on the way home. Sharon told him, "If you don't know how to lose gracefully, then I hope you keep losing until you can learn." She also told him that bitter losers are often proud winners and if he is going to be that way, then she hopes he never wins. And she made him quote some Bible versus on rejoicing for others and what not. I thought it was all very good.

One of the other judges was this man who was a speech communications major at A&M. He took his judging responsibilities very seriously. I tried to make some small talk with him afterwards, and he tried to sell me a house! (He's a realtor for Century 21.) It was kind of weird.

No comments: