Thursday, September 01, 2005

I feel that I haven't written in my blogger for so long that I am not sure where to begin...this week has been hectic, I feel.

So this is what I have been thinking...they want grad students to be TAs so that in case we are interested in being professors, we can learn how to juggle research and teaching at once. However, I was thinking about this and I started realizing that some of the best college teachers I had were not in fact professors that did research. Instead, they were either lecturers or else did not seem to do research anymore. And the professors I had that were very active in research were not good teachers. However, there are exceptions to this observation. For example, there is a professor in my department that is an excellent teacher and a very active researcher that is constantly publishing...BUT he is not married and it truly seems to me that his job is his entire life...

so, I'm not sure what my conclusion is, probably that I don't really desire to be a professor, because I would just hate to be a bad teacher. But it is so time consuming to be a good teacher that there really isn't that much time to be a fabulous researcher concurrently - unless you are one of those super people who have no need for rest and relaxation. I am clearly not one of those people.

that is all for now...

No comments: